Optimized Charging in AirPods: How it works and why you need it

AirPods 3

AirPods have become one of the most popular headphones over the years. They have a lot of advantages: convenient design, high sound quality, easy connection to any device and, of course, autonomy. But if immediately after the purchase, the headset from Apple keeps several hours of work without any problems, then over the years the indicator drops sharply, and replace battery in AirPods, as we know, is almost impossible. Cupertino understand this problem and try to solve it in a variety of ways, one of which is optimized charging. In this article, we will try to cover all the important issues regarding the new feature and understand the nuances of its use.

Few people know, but for several years abroad Apple has been under pressure from activists who demand that Apple be able to repair their gadgets. And really, why is it possible to replace the battery in the iPhone, but not in AirPods and Apple Watch?

Cupertino people can be understood. Agree, it is much easier to force the user to buy a new device than to repair the old one every couple of years. Apparently, as an excuse, Apple decided to roll out the Optimized Charging feature. Let’s talk about her.

What is Optimized Charging

Battery life is related not only to the number of cycles, but also to many other parameters. As a result, the volume of the battery decreases over the years and it becomes difficult to use such a device. Cupertino decided to help us in this matter and rolled out a special software feature called optimized charging.

Many of you have probably heard about the Optimized Charging feature in iPhone. It first appeared back in iOS 13 with the iPhone 11. With its help, the smartphone can analyze your daily schedule and, based on it, suspend charging so that the phone is charged up to 100% just before direct use.

After some time, the chip came to AirPods branded headphones. It turns out that the headphones will be charged up to 80% in normal mode. After that, charging will stop until the appointed time, and after that, gain the remaining 20% ​​at the very end.

Optimized charging in AirPods

Optimized charging is available for AirPods 3 and AirPods Pro owners. You do not need to activate it yourself, it turns on by default when you first set up the device or after updating your iPhone and iPad to version 15 of the operating system. After that, the headphones themselves will be updated, and the chip will appear on your device. Please note that the function works both when charging via cable, and using MagSafe or wireless charging.

Check, Is Optimized Charging enabled on AirPods you can in Settings:

  • Connect your headphones to your iPhone or iPad.
  • Go to Settings, Bluetooth.
  • Find your headphones among all Bluetooth devices.
  • Press the i button next to AirPods 3 or AirPods Pro.
  • Turn on the toggle switch opposite Optimized charging.

It is extremely strange that the feature was not added to AirPods 2 and AirPods Max. Do the owners of these gadgets not face battery problems? I don’t believe in life.

I moved from AirPods 2 to AirPods 3 just recently and one of the reasons was battery wear. AirPods Max is a different story altogether. Headphones are big, they are not used so often. I’m sure many put them on charge and leave them there for days.

How to properly charge AirPods

I tried the technology on AirPods 3, and so far it does not work in the best way. You put your headphones on charge at 11 pm, and a notification appears on the iPhone that recharging will only happen by 7 am. Of course I I don’t charge my AirPods overnight.. Think for yourself, they gain from zero to a hundred in just a couple of hours. It would be extremely unwise to leave them for a long time. And I do not advise you.

In support of this thought, we can say the following: I saw the notification about optimized charging on AirPods only once and it completely coincided with the notification sent by one of our readers. Here again, what is the personal schedule, if both I and he have the same notice? In general, it seemed to me that the chip was underdeveloped.

On the other hand, Apple writes: optimized charging works based on the analysis of your schedule. It is quite possible that in a month of use the algorithm simply did not learn how to read my daily schedule. Plus, I almost never charge my AirPods to 100%. There is simply no such need. They have very good autonomy.

Have you tried the Wireless Charging feature on your AirPods 3 and AirPods Pro yet? How are you? Give feedback in our Telegram chat or in the comments below, it will be interesting to read.

Rate article
( No ratings yet )
Apple Gear News